Premium Tutorial: Certificate Border Design
How to Draw a Certificate Border Design in Illustrator
In this tutorial, I will be teaching you how to make a certificate border pattern just using lines. You will learn how to blend lines and the process of making it tile seamlessly. I will also be proving a template for drawing your pattern and cover how to do the tricky corner. Beginners can attempt to try this tutorial if you have mastered your Pen Tool.
Once you have learnt this new technique, you can start designing your own custom awards and certificate.
Requirements: Adobe Illustrator
What will you get?
- Step by step to create a certificate border
- Unique technique by author
- Easy to follow with screenshot for every step
- Learn how to make the border tile seamlessly
- Comes with source file for easy reference
- Template for drawing certificate pattern
- 30 days money back guarantee if not satisfied
1. I will start off by creating the pattern to be repeated. By turning on the Grid, it can help us align our pattern easily and accurately. So go to View>Show Grid and turn on Snap to Grid. The grid will show up on the canvas. Next, select the Pen Tool and draw a curve like the one below with 3 anchor points only. Set the stroke weight to 0.5px. Select and make a duplicate of it by Alt/Option and dragging it. We will use this shape again in Step 22.
2. Select your path and go to Object>Transform>Reflect and select Vertical. Click Copy to make a mirror reflection.
3. Next, select the Blend Tool. Click the first anchor point and hold Alt/Option as you click the second anchor point. The Blend Options will appear. Select Specified Steps for Spacing and set the steps to 6. This will be our first pattern for our certificate border.
4. We will move on to create our next pattern. Draw an oval with our Ellipse Tool. Use the Direct Selection Tool and select the bottom anchor point and delete it. Select the curve line and make a duplicate by pressing Ctrl/Command+C and Ctrl/Command+F to paste it in front. Hold Shift+Alt/Option and click the bounding box to scale it smaller. Blend the 2 shapes together using the same method in the previous step. Set the steps to 3 this time.
5. Now, I will explain how to use the template provided to create our repeated pattern. In the template, you will see green rectangle boxes. This is the repeated pattern area. All your graphics should reside in this area. And make sure the graphics donít protrude out of the black thick border. First, we will work on the side pattern first and reflect it along the axis. Next, we will work on the corner pattern. With these 2 patterns, we can create a brush pattern and apply it to a rectangle to create our certificate border.
6. Letís move our first pattern to the template. Use the Selection Tool and click the middle intersection point of your first pattern. Drag it to edge of the green template boxes until it snaps with it. Precision is very important in this step to make the pattern tile seamlessly later on. You need to decide what color to use at this stage. Double click the pattern to go into isolation mode. Use the Direct Select Tool to select the line and change the stroke color.
... end of preview. Sign up for premium membership to read the whole tutorial!
See the list of all Illustrator tutorials.
Learn 101 Illustrator tips and techniques for free.
About The Author: Tony Soh
Hi. I'm the founder of Vector Diary. Illustrator is my passion and I have written numerous tutorials on illustrator helping people learn illustrator. My most popular tutorial on learn illustrator has been a hit. It makes learning illustrator so easy and has benefited more than 20,000 people worldwide. Also, I've revealed some of my secret techniques in the premium tutorials. So don't forget to check it out!