In this tutorial, I will be teaching you how to make a certificate border pattern just using lines. You will learn how to blend lines and the process of making it tile seamlessly. I will also be proving a template for drawing your pattern and cover how to do the tricky corner. Beginners can attempt to try this tutorial if you have mastered your Pen Tool.
Once you have learnt this new technique, you can start designing your own custom awards and certificate.
15. Select all our patterns and go to Object>Flatten Transparency to expand all shapes.
16. You can try to reflect your pattern along the corner axis to see the corner effect. The area that is highlighted red is the mirrored image. You will notice that it forms 2 ugly lines that look like a mistake. We will delete it before we reflect our pattern again.
17. Select the pattern and double click to go into isolation mode. Draw a rectangle that covers the area you want to remove. Select the 2 lines you want to shorten to prevent the ugly corners from forming. Open up Window>Pathfinder and hold Alt/Option as you select Subtract from shape. Double click outside to exit the isolation mode after that.
18. Next, draw the shape below that covers the area up to the axis of reflection. Select it with your pattern and right click to select Make Clipping Mask. This will hide the unwanted areas.
19. This is the pattern we will get after masking.
20. With our pattern selected, select the Reflect Tool and hold Alt/Option as you click the point of axis. The options will pop up. Select Angle and enter -45, then click Copy. It will reflect along the axis.