In this tutorial, we will explain how to create an illustration of a cicada. You will discover on how to use reflection of several objects of this symmetrical insect. Let’s get started!
1. Draw the cicada’s head using the Pen Tool. Edit the shape using the Direct Selection Tool as shown.
2. Remove the outline and fill the shape in with black.
3. Draw an oval using the Ellipse Tool from Tool Box. Fill it in with brown.
4. Draw the right side of the cicada’s body using the Pen Tool.
5. Select the right side and take a copy of it (Ctrl+D). Place this copy symmetrically at the left side.
6. Select both of the nodes located at bottom and go to Object > Path > Join.
7. To create swelling parts on the face and the eyes, draw some ovals. Edit the nodes using the Direct Selection Tool.
8. To create swelling parts on the claws and legs, draw more shapes using the Pen Tool.
9. Draw the cicada’s claws and legs on one side of the body using the Pen Tool.
10. Use the previous method for most parts which need swelling shapes. Take a smaller copy from drawing shape and put it at the middle of the last shape. Brighten the color (1). Select both of them and go to Object > Blend > Make (2). Select the object again and go to Effect > Blur > Gaussian Blur (3). Fit the shape in at the appropriate position.
11. Select the body and upper ellipse. Go to Windows > Pathfinder > Unite. After this, both shapes will unite. Add an outline to this shape and draw the left antenna using the Pen Tool.
12. Select the body and fill it in with the appropriate gradient.
13. Create the swelling parts located on the head as you did in step 10.
14. Create the swelling parts located at the front of the head as you did in step 10. Add C=47, M=59, Y=86, K=44 and C=29, M=61, Y=99, K=16.
15. Draw the cicada’s eyes as you did in step 10. Add C=6, M=15, Y=52, K=0 and C=37, M=75, Y=94, K=47.
16. Fill in the swelling parts of the body with the appropriate gradient.
17. Draw lighting shapes using the Pen Tool on the body. Fill them with C=0, M=28, Y=63, K=9.
18. To blur previous drawings, go to Effect > Blur > Gaussian Blur.
19. Draw smaller shapes similar to the bottom object on the front of face, claws and legs. Draw the nodes located at the front of face using the same process as step 10. Blur them.
20. Draw lighting nodes on the claws and legs.
21. Blur the objects located on the claws and legs as you did instep 10.
22. Select the antenna, claws, and legs and copy them (Ctrl+D). Reflect selected objects using the Reflect Tool. Place them in the appropriate position.
23. Draw the wing using the Pen Tool at the left side.
24. Fill it with the appropriate gradient.
25. Take a smaller copy of the wing. Place it on the previous wing. Empty inner color. To turn its outline into an object, go to Object > Path > Outline Stroke. Fill it with the appropriate gradient.
26. You can use either Pen or Pencil Tool to draw the inner lines of the wings.
27. Draw horizontal lines on the wings.
28. Draw horizontal lines which have irregular patterns.
29. Make closed areas in all the wings.
30. Draw white shapes in any closed areas using the Pen Tool.
31. To make the wings transparent, after drawing any object, decrease its Opacity from Appearance Palette.
32. Draw a triangle shape at the junction of the wing and blur it by using the Effect > Blur > Gaussian Blur.
33. Make a copy. Reflect it on the left side of the body using the Reflect Tool.
34. Add more details to the wing to make it seem realistic.
35. Select the left wing with all details and make a copy. Put it at right side in the appropriate position.
36. Draw a dark shape at the end of the wing using the Pen Tool.
37. Reflect this shape as you did in step 35.
38. Make the inner and bottom lines of the wing darker. You’re done!
To download the source file for this tutorial, you will need to login as a member.
Sign up today to access all exclusive members content!
Download Source File
Download Source File