Premium Tutorial: Digital Watch
This Adobe Illustrator tutorial will teach you how to draw a vector digital watch from scratch. It covers step by step on drawing the clock face, plastic watch strap, digital numbers and and glow in the dark effect. I will show you some simple and quick drawing techniques to achieve this final result. It will be an exciting tutorial for anyone who wants to master on drawing realistic objects in Illustrator.
Requirements: Adobe Illustrator
What will you get?
- Instant download of PDF e-book (58 steps)
- Detailed step by step tutorial
- Learn to draw a vector digital watch from scratch
- Comes with Ai file for easy reference
32. When you get the two merged objects, you can fill the shapes with Linear Gradients, and for that purpose refer to the picture below. For the first object (from left to right), the colors should be set as follows: 1- R:100 G:100 B:100, 2- R:40 G:40 B:40; for the second (lower) one, apply two different gradient colors: 1- R:20 G:20 B:20, 2- R:60 G:60 B:60.
33. In this step, I will show you another technique. Make a copy of the object that you have created in Step 28 and place it on the top (colors irrelevant). Now, select that object and the objects from Step 31 (colored with blue) and go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make (Ctrl + 7) to create a mask. In fact, a clipping mask is an object (the above one) whose shape masks other artwork. The only areas that lie within the shape are visible. You can see on the image below what the artwork should look like. Now you have completed the upper watch strap.
34. Make sure your guides and Smart Guides are visible again. To get an identical strap on the lower part of the watch, use the Reflect Tool (O). After that, You just need to hold Alt and click on the guides intersection point (look on the image below). In the Reflect Tool dialog box, set the reflection across horizontal axis.
35. You'll need the Ellipse Tool (L) to create a circle with no fill (stroke only) and place it as you can see on the image below. Now grab the Type on a Path Tool and click on the circle stroke (You should be able to type numbers on a path now). I should emphasize one more thing. If you are not satisfied with how it turned out, you can modify the path at any time by selecting Type > Type on a Path > Type on a Path Options and set the values you prefer.
36. Make a copy of the previous path using Copy (Ctrl+C) command followed by Paste in Front (Ctrl+F) command. So all you need is to change the characters. Here, add multiple colon (':') marks to the path and modify them the way as mentioned above.
... end of preview. Sign up for premium membership to read the whole tutorial!
See the list of all Illustrator tutorials.
Learn 101 Illustrator tips and techniques for free.
About The Author: Nikola Adzic
Hi, I'm a digital artist and designer and I really enjoy creating photorealistic artworks. Most of the time I'm just observing how objects behave in the 'real' world and it's really challenging to create it in a vector-based software, such as Illustrator.
Read more by Nikola Adzic
- Premium Tutorial: Photorealistic Watch
- Premium Tutorial: Popcorn In Glass Bowl
- Premium Tutorial: Vegetable Characters
- Premium Tutorial: Draw a Banana
- Premium Tutorial: Christmas Tree