Illustrator Tutorial: Vector Wine Bottle and Glass
If you like working on Illustrator, then today I’m going to teach you an exciting tutorial. It will definitely help you a lot in becoming a professional designer. In this tutorial, you will get to know about the hidden/ special effects present in the Illustrator that only a few are aware of. So, let’s get started!
In this Illustrator tutorial, we will create all the objects in Illustrator only. We will not import any object from outside the Illustrator.
Drawing a Beer Bottle
1. First, let’s open the illustrator and click on the ‘New Document’ under the File tab.
2. At the moment, you are seeing two objects in this image. One is the bottle of beer and the other one being the glass filled with beer. Let’s start by creating the beer bottle first.
3. To make the beer bottle, we will make the shape of half the beer bottle, as shown in the image below:
4. Now, we have made one side of the beer bottle’s shape. Press Alt+Shift to copy this shape of the bottle and then Right Click on the other shape of the bottle. Choose Right Click > Transform > Reflect. Then press OK. By doing so, the shape of the bottle will be reflected.
5. Once the image is reflected, we will merge/wield it with the already existing shape. To search for the wield option, follow this path, Menu Bar > Window > Pathfinder. You will see a small window opening in front of you, which is also visible in the image shown here. From this window, choose Wield option, which is highlighted red in the image.
6. By choosing the Wield option, both images are merged together. The middle shape of our bottle is now ready. We will then make the bottom of the bottle. To make this part of the bottle we will have to make a circle and place it under the shape, which we have just created. The same is shown in the image below:
7. Now, the bottom and the middle part of the bottle is ready. We will then concentrate on making the upper part of the bottle.
First, we will make the cap of the bottle. To make the cap of the bottle we have to create the shape of the cap, as shown in the image below.
8. We will place this shape on top of the bottle to get a feel for the look of the bottle.
9. Now that we have completed the shape of the bottle, let’s move on to the next step of this tutorial and that is coloring the bottle. As you all know, color is what makes any object special. It lends interest and life to the object. Without adding colors, the objects might be deemed unattractive and boring to most people. So, let’s start adding colors to this bottle. To adjust gradient, you can go here: MenuBar > window > Gradient.
10. As you can see, we have added gradient color to the middle of the bottle. We will then proceed to adding color to the cap of the bottle.
11. Now that we have added color to the cap of the bottle, it looks very similar to the bottle itself.
12. We have finished the basic structure of the image. We will then proceed to working on the sticker of the bottle. To make the sticker, we will use the pen tool first. By using it, we will create the shape of the sticker, as you can see in the image below:
13. Once we have made the sticker of the bottle, we will add colors to it. Pls see the image here:
14. Now, we will place this sticker over the bottle to get a feel for the original look of the bottle. Please see the image shown below.
15. Next, we will add 3 lines below the sticker of the bottle so that the sticker looks authentic. Please see the image shown below.
16. We have now completed our bottle. Let us then add some glow to the wine bottle. To add glow to it, we will make stripes similar to the image.
17. After making the stripes, we will then add default gradient to it. By default, the gradient is black & white. To go to the gradient option, follow this path: Window > Gradient, shortcut = Ctrl+F9.
18. We will place these stripes on the bottle. To add the stripes, follow this path: Window > Transparency, Shortcut = Shift+CTrl+F10. We will then see a window similar to what is shown in the image below. In the dropdown menu, select the ‘Screen’ option.
19. Now, let us proceed to the step-by-step process of making the wine label for the bottle.
20. Go to Tools Menu on the left of the screen and select the Lens Flare Tool.
21. With the use of the Lens Flare Tool, add some effect to the label as shown in the image below. To add the effect to the label, put the tool on the label and drag it.
22. After adding the effect, the look of the bottle would be same as shown in the image below.
23. At last, we have completed the wine bottle. Our final image will look like this.
24. After we have successfully made the bottle, we will now proceed towards creating the glass. The effect on the wine, which you are seeing here, is made by the use of the Mesh Tool.
25. First, we will make the basic shape of the glass. To do this, we need to create a box. We will then put 2 gradient colors in that box, as you can see in the image below:
26. After making the center part of the glass, we will then proceed to creating the bottom part of it.
27. To add a glow to the bottom part of the glass, we will add different gradients in the circles (shapes), as shown below:
28. To add glow to the glass, we will make 2 shapes as we did with the wine bottle. After making the shapes, we will fill it with the Black and White gradient, as shown in the image below:
29. We will then place this gradient shape on the glass. To achieve this, follow this path: Window > Transparency, Shortcut= Shift+Ctrl+F10. By following it, we will get an image similar to what is shown below. In the dropdown menu, choose the ‘Screen’ option.
30. Let us now make the handle of the glass. First, we wull create the shape of the handle.
31. Once the shape of the glass handle has been created, we will fill it with gradient colors that we have used at the bottom of the glass.
32. At the moment, the glass handle looks flat so we have to give a 3d shape to it. To give it a 3d shape, we will create some basic shapes using the pen tool. See image below:
33. We will then place these shapes on the handle to achieve the final look.
34. We are now done with the glass. Let’s proceed to the main part of the glass i.e the wine/beer effect, as you can see on the top part of the glass. This whole effect is made using the Mesh tool.
35. In this segment, we will learn about adding the beer splash effect to the glass. To do so, make a circle first and then fill it with the color used in the glass.
36. Now the circle is done and we’ll make the bottom of the beer/wine. Start by using pen tool to draw a splash like below.
37. Make the color of this shape yellow.
38. Select the mesh tool now and start adding new points and colors to it.
39. Here is the final mesh.
40. Continue to draw more splashes with Pen Tool.
41. Use the same techniques for the gradients.
42. Color the rest of the splashes with gradient mesh too.
43. We have now completed the effect on the bottom part of the beer, as you can see in the image. We will now create the rest of the beer splash effect.
38. The beer/ effect has been completed. See the final image below:
39. Let us now add the splash effect to the top of the glass.
40. After placing the splash on top of the glass, we will get an image similar to the one shown here.
41. Finally, we are done. The final image will look something like the image shown below.
To download the source file for this tutorial, you will need to login as a member.
Sign up today to access all exclusive members content!
[The article is for Basic Members only. Login or sign up now to read the whole article.]
[The article is for Premium Members only. Login or sign up now to read the whole article.]
Complimentary video clips on Bigstock.Get up to 35 videos in a week.
See the list of all Illustrator tutorials.
Learn 101 Illustrator tips and techniques for free.