Illustrator Tip #29: Graphic Styles
Graphic styles in Illustrator help you apply appearance effects on any objects. You can create a graphics style and apply it to multiple objects. This helps you to work faster in Illustrator and save time on creating the same effects. Let’s find out how to create your own custom graphic styles in Illustrator!
1. First create a text and go Type > Create Outlines. Next, go to Effect > Warp > Wave and set the Bend to 73%.
2. Next, we will add a drop shadow to it. Select the text and go to Effect > Warp > Drop Shadow and set the following settings.
3. Go to Appearance palette and click Add New Fill. Select a turquoise blue for it as shown below.
4. Use the same method to add 2 new stroke layers in the Appearance. Set one to 5pt and the top layer to 2pt to achieve the effect like what I have done.
5. Finally, drag our appearance style in the Graphic Styles to create it.
6. Type a new text and select our new aqua effect. Your text effect will immediately take effect. That’s it. Now you can use the aqua graphic style on any shape. No need to go through the process of repeating creating styles for each object in Illustrator.
Get up to 35 free images from Bigstock
Back to 101 Illustrator Tips & Tricks »
Complimentary video clips on Bigstock.Get up to 35 videos in a week.
See the list of all Illustrator tutorials.
Learn 101 Illustrator tips and techniques for free.
About The Author: Tony Soh
Hi. I'm the founder of Vector Diary. Illustrator is my passion and I have written numerous tutorials on illustrator helping people learn illustrator. My most popular tutorial on learn illustrator has been a hit. It makes learning illustrator so easy and has benefited more than 20,000 people worldwide. Also, I've revealed some of my secret techniques in the premium tutorials. So don't forget to check it out!