This tutorial will take you through the process of creating a Zoo Park map from scratch. It’s all vector and besides the actual map with various elements, it also teach you on drawing a parking lot, a logo and creating a legend for the map. By the end of this tutorial, you will have all the necessary knowledge for drawing various maps and the confidence to get map drawing projects. So let’s get started!
Requirements: Adobe Illustrator
What will you get?
- Instant download of PDF e-book (25 pages, 46 steps)
- Comes with Ai file for easy reference
- Detailed step by step tutorial to draw a nice realistic vector map drawing
Start the Project
1. Open a new document by going to File menu > New. Type the name and the dimensions then hit OK.
Draw the Basic Map Shape
2. Grab the Pen Tool (P) and draw the outline of the map. If you have the blueprint of the map, you can scan and place it in Illustrator and trace over the outline.
3. Using the Pen Tool (P) draw a path as shown. Having this path selected and also the map-shape click Divide from the Pathfinder panel (Window menu > Pathfinder) then Ungroup from the Object menu. As a result you will get the two separate shapes, the actual map and the parking. Fill the shapes with the colors indicated.
4. Next, take the Pencil Tool (N) and draw some random shapes over the map. Fill them with the color indicated then Group them (Ctrl+G). Go to Effect menu > Stylize > Feather and apply a 5 px Radius to make the edges smoother then set the Blending mode to Soft Light.
Drawing the Footpaths
5. Let’s start with the entrance. Use the Rectangle Tool (M) to draw a rectangle and the Ellipse Tool (L) to draw a circle having the dimensions shown. Select them both and click Subtract from shape area > Expand from the Pathfinder panel. Next, draw a half circle and fill it with light brown. Use it to make 3 smaller copies and just give them a 1 pt white stroke. Draw little white paths between these shapes as in the image and the entrance is ready. You can now put it in the bottom left corner of the map.
6. Starting from the entrance draw with the Pen Tool (P) the footpaths, randomly. Give them an 8 pt cream stroke.
7. Next, draw more shapes next to the footpaths using the Pen Tool (P) as shown below (1). Continue with more shapes, circles and rectangles filled with the same color (2).
Sign up for FREE membership to download tutorial in PDF today!