This Illustrator tutorial will take you through the process of creating a video game console step by step. You will learn my unique technique of drawing realistic buttons for the controllers and distorting letters to fit the buttons. This tutorial will be fun and easy for beginners. After this tutorial, you will gain an insight on drawing electronics and you can apply it on your next project.
Requirements: Adobe Illustrator
What will you get?
- Instant download of PDF e-book (33 steps)
- Detailed step by step tutorial
- Learn the techniques to create a video game console
- Comes with Ai file for easy reference
1. Open a new document. Take the Pen Tool and draw 2 lightly curved paths to define the front of the console then close the shape. Draw the shape for the top of the console and make copies of both because you will need them again. Now select the front and the top shapes and go to Pathfinder Panel and select Subtract from shape area and Expand. Then click Divide and Ungroup to delete the extra paths that you don't need.
2. Next, draw with the Pen Tool the red shape in the image and bring up the Direct Selection Tool. Select just the shown point and press the Delete key. Now, modify the path to go all around the other shapes, select both the front shape and the red one, go to Pathfinder Panel and click Intersect shape areas and Expand (the front shape should be on top). This will make the bottom rounded.
3. Now, you will need to duplicate the red shape made above but this time delete the 2 points shown in the image. Use the Pen Tool to continue drawing from the open path until you form the shape of the back of the console.
4. Fill the shapes with different linear gradients using gray tones to create the metallic texture.
Next draw the shape that you see in the image, Copy and paste it in front. Then take the Direct Selection Tool and select just the 4 points in the front and move them to obtain a small border. Fill the shape on top with a linear gradient using darker gray tones. Colors that I used are: (R=64,G=64,B=64), (R=153,G=153,B=153), (R=101,G=112,B=118) and (R=51,G=51,B=51). Now, draw the other shape that you see below similar to the first one and place it like in the image.
5. Draw 2 more shapes to fit with the other ones and fill them using the same gradient just change the angle if needed.
Sign up for FREE membership to download tutorial in PDF today!